I’ve been spending some time lately with my aunt who’s come from the UK and she mentioned of this practice called ‘Oil Pulling’ that has been helping her health & body drastically. Their entire family has been on it for a while now!
So before trying it, I did my bit of research and here is what I found:
Oil pulling or oil swishing is a traditional folk remedy where oil is swished or held in the mouth. Ayurvedic literature states oil pulling is capable of improving oral and systemic health, including a benefit in conditions such as headaches, migraines, diabetes, asthma, and acne, as well as whitening teeth. Oil pulling is known as “Kavala” or “Gandusha” in the Ayurvedic text Charaka Samhita.
Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic remedy for oral health and detoxification. It involves the use of pure oils as agents for pulling harmful bacteria, fungus, and other organisms out of the mouth, teeth, gums and even throat.
The most effective oil pulling is done by placing around a tablespoon of cold pressed organic sesame ooil into the mouth and swishing the oil around the mouth for approximately 10-15 minutes and then spitting it out.
Other oils such as extra virgin cold pressed coconut, sunflower and olive oil have also been used, although sesame oil is the best for this practice. You can alternate these oils every couple of days to get the full benefit. Just make sure you use only high quality organic oils.
First, the oils mix with the saliva, turning it into a thin, white liquid. Lipids in the oils begin to pull out toxins from the saliva. As the oil is swished around the mouth, teeth, gums and tongue, the oil continues to absorb toxins, and usually ends up turning thick and viscous and white. Once the oil has reached this consistency, it is spit out before the toxins are reabsorbed.
Its health & well-being benefits include:
- Overall strengthening of the teeth and gums and jaws.
- Prevents diseases of the gums and mouth, such as cavities and gingivitis and bad breath
- Cures bleeding gums, dryness of the lips, mouth and throat, sore jaws
- Aids Migraine headache relief
- Corrects hormone imbalances
- Cures acne, reduces wrinkles & improves skin texture and complexion
- Reducing inflammation of arthritis
- helps with gastroenteritis
- Aids in the reduction of eczema
- reduces symptoms of bronchitis
- Helps support normal kidney function
- reduces sinus congestion
- improved vision
- Helps reduce insomnia
- Reduces hangover after alcohol consumption
- Aids in reducing pain & inflammation in the body
- Reduces the symptoms of allergies
- Helps detoxify the body of harmful metals and organisms
- Helps maintain optimum health of lymph nodes & cures unwanted growths
Now that I have enlightened you with this information, go ahead try it & share your feedback on how is it changing your health & body for the better and so will I 🙂
Happy Oil Pulling.